Bushy Park bees killed by insecticide

Two of the hives in Bushy Park which produce the honey sold at the park’s Visitor Centre by the Friends were subject to an unfortunate incident earlier this summer. The honey bees were  killed off by an insecticide that was used in the near vicinity. The product is Fipronil and is sometimes used to professionally deal with infestations of insects such as fleas (including on animals by vets) or wasp’s nests. The analysis by Defra scientists, of the poisoning of the Bushy Park hives, points to a probability of the use of the insecticide in a residence outside the park. The bees, of course, fly to places beyond the park.

Please be aware of the potential for Fipronil to accidentally destroy bee colonies when it is used in situations where there are hives in the vicinity.  It will also destroy ALL beneficial insects within the spray range.  Remember that spray drift will wipe out many more insects and can affect human health. Please visit first to ensure proper precautions are taken.  If precautions are not taken, the house owner and person spraying can be liable for prosecution.    For advice, visit:

Honey from the two affected hives will not be offered for sale; however fortunately, the remaining hives in Bushy Park are still producing their wonderful honey which will be for sale when we reopen the Visitor Centre.

You are donating to : The Friends of Bushy and Home Park

How much would you like to donate?
Would you like to make regular donations? I would like to make donation(s)
How many times would you like this to recur? (including this payment) *
Name *
Last Name *
Email *
Additional Note